Hardwood floors are not only elegant and timeless, but they also add warmth and charm to any space. Regular cleaning and maintenance are essential to keep your hardwood floors looking their best and extend their lifespan. In this article, we’ll walk you through the best practices for hardwood floor cleaning like a pro, from the correct cleaning solutions to avoid common mistakes. Whether you prefer a do-it-yourself approach or consider hiring a professional cleaning service, we’ve got you covered. Let’s get those hardwood floors shining!
What is the Best Thing to Use When Cleaning Hardwood Floors?
When cleaning hardwood floors, choosing the right products and techniques to preserve their natural beauty is crucial. The best thing to use is a pH-neutral and water-based hardwood floor cleaner. Avoid harsh chemicals, abrasive cleaners, or oil-based solutions, as they can damage the wood’s finish and cause discoloration over time. Opt for cleaning products designed for hardwood floors, as they are gentle yet effective in removing dirt and grime without leaving residues.
What Should You Not Put on a Hardwood Floor?
To protect your hardwood floors and avoid unnecessary damage, there are certain things you should never put on them.
Steer clear of:
- Vinegar and water solutions: While vinegar is a natural cleaning agent, it is acidic and can dull the finish of your hardwood floors.
- Steam mops: Steam can penetrate the wood and cause warping or cupping, leading to irreversible damage.
- Ammonia-based cleaners can strip the finish and make your floors look dull and faded.
- Wax or oil-based products: They can leave sticky residues and make refinishing more difficult in the future.
- Abrasive scrub brushes or steel wool can scratch the wood’s surface and cause visible damage.
How Do You Clean Hardwood Floors Yourself?
Now that we know what to avoid let’s explore how to clean hardwood floors like a pro with a do-it-yourself approach. Follow these steps to keep your hardwood floors looking pristine:
Sweep Hardwood Floors Daily:
Regular sweeping or dusting is crucial to prevent dirt, dust, and debris from scratching the surface of your hardwood floors. Use a soft-bristled broom or microfiber dust mop to remove particles gently.
Use a vacuum cleaner with a hardwood floor attachment or a brush roll designed for hardwood floors. Avoid vacuums with beater bars or rotating brushes, as they can damage the wood’s finish.
Mop Hardwood Floors:
When mopping, use a damp microfiber mop or a well-wrung mop to avoid excessive water on the floor. Excess moisture can cause wood to swell and lead to damage. Again, avoid using steam mops, as they can cause irreparable harm to hardwood floors.
Fix Scratches in Hardwood Floors:
Over time, hardwood floors may develop minor scratches or scuffs. Use a touch-up kit or wood marker to conceal these imperfections. Consider consulting a professional to repair and refinish the affected area for deeper scratches or extensive damage.
Maintain Hardwood Floors:
Regular maintenance is critical to preserving the beauty and integrity of your hardwood floors. Place rugs or mats at entryways to trap dirt and prevent it from spreading across the floor. Use pads under heavy furniture to protect against scratches and dents.
Recoat Hardwood Floors:
Depending on the wear and tear, you may need to recoat your hardwood floors every few years. Recoating helps to rejuvenate the finish and protect the wood from further damage. Hiring a professional for this task ensures a smooth and long-lasting result.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional Cleaning Service:
While DIY cleaning is effective, there are numerous benefits to hiring a professional cleaning service to maintain your hardwood floors:
- Expertise and Experience: Professional cleaners have the knowledge and experience to assess the condition of your hardwood floors and use the most suitable cleaning methods and products.
- Time-Saving: Cleaning large or high-traffic areas of hardwood floors can be time-consuming. Hiring professionals allows you to focus on other priorities while they efficiently handle cleaning tasks.
- Specialized Equipment: Professional cleaning companies often use advanced equipment and techniques that deliver superior results compared to regular household cleaning tools.
- Preventative Maintenance: Professional cleaners can identify potential issues or areas of concern and provide preventive maintenance to avoid costly repairs in the future.
- Tailored Solutions: Cleaning services can be customized to meet your needs, whether you require one-time deep cleaning or regular maintenance.
With the proper hardwood floor cleaning techniques and products, you can maintain the beauty and longevity of your hardwood floors. Avoid harsh chemicals, steam mops, and abrasive tools, and opt for gentle, water-based hardwood floor cleaners. Regular sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping are essential for keeping your floors free from dirt and debris. Consider professional repair and refinishing services in case of scratches or extensive damage.
Hiring a professional cleaning service offers numerous advantages, including expertise, time-saving, and tailored solutions if you prefer a hassle-free approach or have more extensive cleaning needs. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how Assett Commercial Services can help keep your hardwood floors shining.